This website is operated by a Western Digital Corporation entity (“WDC”). WDC is committed to protecting your privacy and we want to ensure that you understand what we collect from or about you, how we use it and the safeguards we have in place designed to protect it.
What types of user information do we collect and how?
Personally Identifiable Information When you access our Site, we may collect personally identifiable information (“PII”) from you when you voluntarily submit this information to us. Examples of PII may include your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, user name, password and other information such as payment or credit card information. We may supplement the information we receive from you with information about you that we receive from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, social media platforms and other third parties.
Other Information We may also collect other information when you access our Site. “Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual. Other Information may include the type of device you are using, your IP address, the geographic location of your device (e.g., zip code or county), your operating system, the type of Internet browser that you use, usage information, diagnostic information and other data that allow us to improve our applications and serve you better, demographic information and other information provided by you, and aggregated information. We collect this information through your browser or device, by means of cookies and pixel tags, using Adobe Flash technology (including Flash Local Shared Objects or “Flash LSOs”), from you or by aggregating information. We also may collect Other Information from you, such as your preferred means of communication, when you voluntarily provide this information.
What about "cookies"?
Cookies are small bits of information that this Site places on your computer. We and our third party service providers use various types of cookies, local shared objects and pixel tags to identify your IP address, browser type, device characteristics, domain name, referring URLs and specific links and web pages through which you click. This data is collected automatically and utilized for site operations, fraud prevention and to help us improve this Site and your overall experience. This technology also allows us to recognize you when you return to this Site and to provide you with a customized experience that we feel will be of value to you. Cookies further allow us to select which of our advertisements or offers are most likely to appeal to you.
Most web browsers allow you to exercise control over cookie files on your computer by erasing them, blocking them, or notifying you when such a file is stored. Please take a look at your particular browser for instructions on this function. You may also wish to refer to http://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/index.html. If you do elect to disable cookies, please note that you may not be able to take full advantage of a personalized experience on this Site and certain functions may not be available to you.
We may also use Flash Cookies, LSOs and other technologies to, among other things, collect and store information about your use of the Site, fraud prevention and other site operations. If you do not want Flash LSOs stored on your computer, you can adjust the settings of your Flash player to block Flash LSO storage using the tools contained in the Website Storage Settings Panel. You can also control Flash LSOs by going to the Global Storage Settings Panel and following the instructions (which may include instructions that explain, for example, how to delete existing Flash LSOs (referred to "information" on the Macromedia site), how to prevent Flash LSOs from being placed on your computer without your being asked, and (for Flash Player 8 and later) how to block Flash LSOs that are not being delivered by the operator of the page you are on at the time). Please note that setting the Flash Player to restrict or limit acceptance of Flash LSOs may reduce or impede the functionality of some Flash applications, including, potentially, Flash applications used in connection with the Site or our online content.
How do we use PII?
We may use PII:
- To process and respond to your requests;
- To contact you from time to time to provide you with important information, required notices and promotional materials;
- To send administrative information to you, for example, information regarding the Site and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- To complete and fulfill your purchase, for example, to process your payments, have your order delivered to you, communicate with you regarding your purchase and provide you with related customer service.
- To personalize your experience on the Site by presenting products and offers tailored to you.
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your PII, so we suggest that you read these rules carefully.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Site, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities;
- As we believe necessary or appropriate:
- under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence;
- to comply with legal process;
- to respond to requests from public or government authorities, including authorities outside your country of residence;
- to enforce our terms and conditions;
- to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates;
- to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others;
- to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
How do we share PII with third parties?
We may disclose your PII as follows:
- To our affiliates for the purposes described in this Policy. Western Digital Corporationis the party responsible for the management of the jointly-used PII.
- To our third party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, credit card processing, auditing and other similar services. We seek to require that our service providers adhere to appropriate restrictions on access and use of your PII.
- To third parties to permit them to send you marketing communications.
- To third-party sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions.
- To identify you to anyone to whom you send messages through the Site.
- By you, on message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and materials (including, without limitation, our Social Media Pages). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public information, and may be available to users of the Site and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your PII, or any other information, on the Site.
We may also disclose your PII in the following circumstances:
- As required by law, including laws outside your country of residence, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process;
- To respond to requests from public and government authorities, including authorities outside your country of residence;
- When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government request;
- To allow us to pursue available remedies and limit the damage we may sustain;
- In the event of a merger, reorganization, acquisition, joint venture, assignment, spin-off, transfer or sale or disposition of all or any portion of our business, including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings.
How do we use and disclose Other Information?
We may use and disclose Other Information in any manner for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as PII under applicable law, then we may use it for all the purposes for which we use and disclose PII. If we combine Other Information with PII, we will treat the combined information as PII while it is combined.
Interest-Based Ads and Online Tracking
We may partner with third-party service providers to serve ads regarding goods or services that may be of interest to you when you access and use the Site and third party-sites. Some of the ads on this Site or on third party sites may be personalized, meaning that they are intended to be relevant to you based on what we or the online advertising network serving the ad know about you or your computer's browsing activity on both the Site and third-party sites. To do so, these companies may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser (including through the use of pixel tags).
The Network Advertising Initiative offers useful information about internet advertising companies, including information about how to opt-out of interest-based advertising by their members. See http://www.networkadvertising.org for general information about the NAI and http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp for the opt-out page. You may also visit http://www.aboutads.info/consumers/ to learn about interest-based advertising and how to opt-out from ads served by some or all participating companies.
These opt-out mechanisms rely on cookies to remember your choices. If you delete your cookies, use another computer or device, or change browsers, you will need to repeat this process. In addition, opting out of interest-based ads will not opt you out of all ads, but rather only those ads that are personalized to your interests.
Third Party Services
This Policy does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information or practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any site or service to which the Site links. The inclusion of a link on the Site does not imply our or our affiliates’ endorsement of the linked site or service.
Please note that we are not responsible for the collection, usage and disclosure policies and practices (including the data security practices) of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including any PII you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with our Social Media Pages.
How can I access or correct my information?
If you would like us to correct or delete PII that you have provided to us in connection with your use of this Site, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will endeavor to respond in a reasonable time. We will make a good faith effort to provide you with access to your PII and to correct any inaccuracy or delete such information, at your request, if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed. We may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical or for which access is not otherwise required. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the PII associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request.
How do we protect your information?
We have implemented reasonable security measures and practices in an effort to protect the confidentiality of your PII. However, no security system is impenetrable. It may be possible for third parties to intercept or access information that you provide to WDC. WDC cannot guarantee the security of your information, nor can we guarantee that information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to WDC. It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password(s), computer and WDC Products. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting use in accordance with the “How to Contact Us” section below.
We do not knowingly solicit data from, or market to, children under the age of 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with personal information, he or she should contact us at email@example.com.We will take reasonable steps to delete such information from our database within a reasonable time.
Your California Privacy Rights
California law permits our established customers who are California residents to request information regarding the manner in which WDC shares certain categories of your PII with third parties, for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. California law provides that you have the right to submit a request to WDC at its designated address and receive the following information:
- The categories of information WDC disclosed to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year;
- The names and addresses of third parties that received such information; and
- If the nature of a third party's business cannot be reasonably determined from the third party's name, examples of the products or services marketed.
You are entitled to receive a copy of this information in a standardized format and the information will not be specific to you individually. WDC’s designated email address for such requests is firstname.lastname@example.org. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted to addresses other than the addresses specified in this paragraph.
The Site is controlled and operated by us from the United States and is not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States. Your PII may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers. By using the Site, you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than your country.
We will retain your PII for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Policy unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
We ask that you do not send us or disclose any sensitive PII (e.g., Social Security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Site or otherwise to us.
WDC retains the discretion to amend this Policy from time to time. Please take a look at the “Effective Date” legend at the top of this page to see when this Policy was last revised. Any changes to this Policy will become effective when we post the revised Policy on our Site. Your use of the Site following these changes means that you accept the revised Policy.
How to Contact Us
WDC welcomes any questions or comments you may have regarding this Policy or its implementation. Any such questions or comments should be submitted via email to email@example.com or directed to the address below. We will undertake reasonable efforts to resolve or address your concern. Please note that email communications are not always secure, so please do not include credit card information or sensitive information in your emails to us.
Western Digital Corporation
Attn: Legal Dept / Privacy
3355 Michelson Drive, Suite 100
Irvine, California 92612, USA
Western Digital Technologies, Inc. and Arkeia Software, Inc. (collectively, “WDT,” “we,” or “our”) collect certain types of information when you use our products and software applications, including media players, personal cloud storage systems, networking devices, direct-attached and network-attached storage devices, and mobile and other software applications (collectively, “WDT Products”).
What types of user information do we collect?
User Provided Information When you purchase, download register, or log on to a WDT Product, we may collect the following information from you: your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, age, user name, password and other registration information. In addition, we may collect certain transaction-related information, such as credit card information, as well as information that you submit when requesting customer support or warranty services.
We may use the information you provide us to contact you from time to time to provide you with important information, required notices and promotional materials. For certain Products, registration with us is optional. Please keep in mind, however, that you may not be able to use all of the features of certain WDT Products unless you register with us.
Automatically Collected information We may also receive and log certain types of information automatically when you use WDT Products.
In the case of a mobile, desktop, web or other software application, such automatically received information may include the type of device you use, your device’s unique ID, the IP address of your device, the generalized location of your device (e.g., zip code or county), your operating system, the type of Internet browser that you use, usage information, diagnostic information and other non-identifying data that allow us to improve our applications.
In the case of other WDT Products, such as our media players, personal cloud storage, direct-attached and network-attached storage, and networking devices, automatically collected information may include diagnostic, technical, usage and related information about your WDT Product that we use to better understand and enhance WDT Products, as well as to facilitate the provision of software updates, product support and other related services. We may also collect IP addresses and other geographic information in order to tailor the content offerings and advertising delivered to WDT Products.
What user information do we share with third parties?
We may disclose information (including User Provided Information and Automatically Shared Information) from or concerning you or your WDT Product in the following circumstances:
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process;
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government request;
- to our trusted services providers who work on our behalf, do not have an independent use of the information we disclose to them, and have agreed to adhere to the rules set forth in this privacy statement;
- as part of a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of WDT assets; and
- to third-party analytics companies as described in the following section.
Information collected by third-party analytics companies
We may work with third-party data analytics providers and products to obtain, compile and analyze information about how users are using and interacting with WDT Products. For example, these analytics providers may record the device, operating system, firmware and unique ID of WDT Products; generalized location information; and usage information, such as how frequently WDT Products are used and the file extensions that are accessed using WDT software applications. You recognize and agree that the analytics companies utilized by WDT may combine the information that they collect with other information they have independently collected from other services or products used by you. These companies collect and use information under their own privacy policies. You further recognize and agree that WDT has no responsibility for the technologies, tools, or practices of the third parties that provide analytics products and services to WDT. For a current list of third party analytic tools we are using, as well as a link to these providers’ privacy policies, please see third party analytics details.
Information collected by third-party content providers
Certain WDT Products offer the ability to access third-party content from companies such as Netflix, YouTube and Pandora. WDT Products may also enable you to access or use third-party cloud services from companies such as Dropbox and Microsoft. These third-parties may collect and transmit information about you and your use of their services, including information that can be used to identify you personally. WDT does not control and is not responsible for the collection practices of these third-party content providers. Your decision to use their services is entirely voluntary. You should ensure that you are comfortable with how these third-party services use and share your information by reviewing their privacy policies and/or modifying your privacy settings directly on those third-party services’ websites prior before electing to use their services.
How do we protect your information?
If you would like us to correct or delete User Provided Data that you have provided to us in connection with your use of a WDT Product, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will respond in a reasonable time. We will make a good faith effort to provide you with access to your User Provided Data and to correct any inaccuracy or delete such information, at your request, if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical or for which access is not otherwise required.
We have implemented reasonable security measures and practices in an effort to protect the confidentiality of your User Provided Information. However, no security system is impenetrable. It may be possible for third parties to intercept or access information that you provide to WDT. WDT cannot guarantee the security of your User Provided Information, nor can we guarantee that information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to WDT. It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password(s), computer and WDT Products.
We do not knowingly solicit data from, or market to, children under the age of 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without his or her consent, he or she should contact us at email@example.com. We will take all reasonable steps to delete such information from our database within a reasonable time.
How to Contact Us
3355 Michelson Drive, Suite 100
Irvine, California 92612, USA